New York Spinal Cord Compression Malpractice Lawyers
Bringing Claims Against Medical Professionals & Institutions
Did you or a loved one suffer serious complications of spinal cord compression? It might be possible that the injury occurred or was worsened due to the neglect of a medical professional who should have diagnosed and treated it sooner. If this is the case, then you could be owed significant compensation for your financial losses and physical suffering.
Simonson Goodman Platzer PC in New York has the experience, talents, and resources needed to handle complex spinal cord compression malpractice cases. We can help you explore your legal options and stand up to a medical institution that failed to treat your symptoms properly.
Call (800) 817-5029 to request a FREE case evaluationwith our firm.
What is Spinal Cord Compression?
Spinal cord compression is a serious health condition that involves too much pressure being placed on the spinal cord, often due to an injury to the spine or supportive soft tissues. It can occur anywhere along the spinal cord. The higher on the spinal cord that compression occurs, the more likely it is to cause serious symptoms and permanent consequences.
Spinal cord compression can cause:
- Chronic pain and stiffness in the back and neck
- Burning pain in limbs and hips
- Weakness and cramping in hands and feet
- Sudden limp
- Inability to engage in sexual activity
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
- Paralysis in severe cases
How Does Spinal Cord Compression Happen?
Spinal cord compression can occur quite suddenly, or it might happen gradually as an injury or condition worsens. It has been linked to herniated discs, severe infections, spinal tumors, spinal cord damage from a violent accident, osteoarthritis, and other bone diseases. The cases that are brought to Simonson Goodman Platzer PC, though, involve spinal cord compression caused or worsened by medical malpractice.
With adequate medical care, spinal cord compression can be detected and diagnosed soon after symptoms first occur, or a spinal injury happens like a herniated disc. Medical providers can take X-rays and CT images to get details of the injury and decide the best approach to alleviate the compression. In some cases, physical therapy and medicine are all that are needed. In others, urgent spinal surgery is required. It might be a case of medical malpractice if these steps are not taken, and the spinal cord compression worsens and results in serious consequences like paralysis.
What Needs to Be Proven?
When spinal cord compression occurs, it is not always a call for a medical malpractice lawsuit. As mentioned, it can occur naturally and rapidly. For your spinal cord compression lawsuit to make headway, we will need to find ways to confidently prove that a medical provider’s mistakes caused the condition or allowed it to worsen due to inadequate care or a misdiagnosis.
Two important factors of a valid spinal cord compression case are:
- Unacceptable medical care: It must be provable that you received unacceptable medical care that deviated from the norms. Plaintiff attorneys often ask, “Did the defendant do something that another reasonable medical provider would not have done in the same situation?” Evidence like medical records and testimonies from medical experts can be used to answer this question.
- Worsened patient condition: The patient’s condition must have been worsened or caused directly by a medical mistake in most cases, too. An unreasonable medical error is not usually considered medical malpractice if it has no tangible consequences. We can see if the medical mistake worsened your symptoms, such as paralysis or the spread of muscular weakness and pain.
Liable Parties for Spinal Cord Compression Malpractice
Who can be blamed and held financially liable if your spinal cord compression was caused by medical malpractice? It depends on the details of your case and who should have provided the proper medical care but did not.
The likely defendants in a New York spinal cord compression case could be:
- Medical practitioner: An individual medical doctor could be liable for a spinal cord compression malpractice case if their mistake was the leading cause of it. For example, if the doctor did not order the proper tests or misinterpreted their results, then the blame could rest mostly or solely on that doctor.
- Medical institution: A medical institution could be partially or mostly liable, too. This liability situation can occur if a hospital did not have expected testing capabilities, did not provide the doctor with proper facilities, employed or contracted a doctor who was unfit for the role, and so on.
Get Help from Our Firm – Call Today
Simonson Goodman Platzer PC and our New York spinal cord compression malpractice lawyers are standing by to hear from you. If you or a loved one have suffered from spinal cord compression that wasn’t treated correctly, then we want to hear from you.
You can depend on our firm for all parts of your claim or lawsuit, such as:
- Investigation: We can use our extensive legal experience and connections with trusted medical experts to investigate the cause and consequences of your spinal cord compression injury.
- Calculation: We know how to carefully calculate the full damages owed to you, including future medical treatment costs and lost income.
- Representation: We are ready to represent you in settlement negotiations or courtroom proceedings and litigation, whatever needs to be done to secure the win in your name.
Leave everything up to us, so you can focus on your recovery. Compensation might not be able to undo what has been done to you due to a medical mistake, but it can help you find the peace of mind and financial stability that you deserve, so we intend to fight for every penny.
Please talk to our medical malpractice team about your spinal cord compression case now. Just dial (800) 817-5029.
New York Spinal Cord Compression Malpractice FAQ
Is spinal cord compression common?
Spinal cord compression is considered rare. Fewer than 200,000 cases are believed to occur in the United States each year. Due to its rarity, it is always worth questioning why it happened because medical malpractice could be the cause.
Can spinal cord compression naturally occur?
Osteoarthritis can wear down the spine and supporting tissues to the point that discs are misaligned or pressed together, resulting in spinal cord compression. The warning signs of these symptoms are often significant enough to be identified with proper diagnostic testing and medical care, though.
Is spinal cord compression considered serious?
Spinal cord compression is a medical emergency. If untreated, it can cause a sudden loss of bodily functions, which can be dangerous based on what body parts and organs are affected.
$87 Million Work Accident Verdict
The firm won $87 million in the Bronx County Supreme Court for a laborer who was left paralyzed as a result of a work accident in March 2004.
$18 Million Medical Malpractice Settlement
$18,000,000 verdict on behalf of a twin born after a long delay with a severe brain injury-hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy.
$7.9 Million Medical Malpractice Verdict
$7,900,000 verdict for failure to monitor glucose levels in post CABG patient leads to death of 47 year old leaving a wife and two children.
$7.5 Million Medical Malpractice Settlement
$7,500,000 recovery for a baby who was seriously brain-damaged at the time of his birth. Due to a delay in delivery, the baby lost vital oxygen to his brain and develop cerebral palsy.
$6.4 Million Medical Malpractice Settlement
$6,400,000 recovery for a young woman’s pregnancy that was mishandled before she went into labor leading to seizures with resultant brain damage.
The attorneys were kind, accommodating and professional. I couldn’t be happier with the settlement they achieved for me.Inbar V.
They have done an amazing job to win my case without even going to the court.Sezgin T.
Highly recommend!! I had the pleasure of working with Paul Simonson during the worst time of my life. He is knowledgeable, professional & he truly cares. When other attorneys turned down my case Mr. Simonson got results! I will be forever grateful.Dawn M.
I would highly recommend this firm. Ted knows the law and did a great job.Dana
They were honest and clear about the process of bringing a lawsuit forward and managed my expectations.Nate G.
Thank you, Mr. Goodman and Mr. Simonson very much for looking out for me and always having my best interest at heart!Naresh T.
Based on my experience with this firm, their name should be empathy, compassion and brilliance. Their kindness and attention to detail was second to none. I truly cannot say enough good things about Paul, Ted and this firm. The gratitude I feel towards them is immeasurable.Nic R.
Ted Goodman was amazing in the courtroom and eloquently argued my case. If I could give them 10 stars I would, they truly changed my life. There are no amount of words that can show how grateful I am for all they have done.Ashley W.